125+ Years of Family Tradition
Flor de Caña, Nicaragua’s #1 exported brand, is present in over 40 countries in five continents and is one of the fastest growing premium rum brands in the United States. With more than 125 years and 5 generations of family tradition, Flor de Caña has been recognized as the world’s best rum in prestigious international competitions in London, San Francisco and Chicago. Flor de Caña, the leading super premium rum in Central America, is manufactured and distributed by Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua, S.A. (CLNSA).
Flor de Caña is a naturally aged rum enriched by the unique properties of the San Cristobal volcano, the most active in Nicaragua. The fertility of its soil, the volcanic climate to which the barrels are exposed during the aging process and the enriched volcanic water contribute in creating a singularly smooth and deliciously balanced rum.
The spirit of Flor de Caña originates from the audacity and determination of a young explorer and visionary from Genoa, Italy, Francisco Pellas Canessa, who in 1875, at the age of 25, risked everything by leaving behind his family and the comforts of the old continent to undertake an adventure that would give birth to a family legacy of 5 generations: Flor de Caña Rum.
Flor de Caña’s signature Slow-Aged™ process means that the rum is naturally aged in small white oak bourbon barrels sealed with plantain leaves, producing a distinguished and elegant rum with tropical notes. This uninterrupted aging process gives the rum its remarkable amber color and rich flavor without the aid of accelerants, unnatural additives and with zero sugar content.
Distilled with 100% renewable energy
Flor de Caña is an environmentally responsible brand, its distillery uses 100% renewable energy and every year the company plants 50,000 trees. At this eco-friendly distillery is where the high quality of Flor de Caña rums is achieved through a five-times distillation process to obtain alcohol of maximum purity.
Flor de Caña PGA Open
In 2016, Flor de Caña formed a partnership with PGA, the world’s preeminent golf organization, to organize the first Flor de Caña PGA Open, a world-class event that brought together professional golfers from 23 countries at Guacalito de la Isla’s Mukul Resort, Golf & Spa on Nicaragua’s Emerald Coast. The event’s success has motivated Flor de Caña and PGA to hold the tournament again in 2017 and 2018.
Official Rum of the International Game Fish Association (IGFA)
As of 2017, Flor de Caña is the official rum of the prestigious International Game Fish Association (IGFA), the most important nonprofit organization focused on game fish (catch and release) and maritime conservation. Flor de Caña sponsors international fishing tournaments in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Panama.
Official Rum of International Fishing Tournaments in Central America
With the objective of promoting tourism in the region, Flor de Caña has been the official rum of 12 fishing tournaments (catch and release) in Central America, with more than 2,000 participants. One such tournament is the Flor de Caña International Fishing Tournament in Nicaragua, an event that brings together fishermen from 10 countries. In 2016, the brand celebrated the XV edition of this tournament.
The history Flor de Caña dates back to 1890 at the base of the San Cristobal volcano, in the northwest region of Nicaragua. There, the family began the tradition of celebrating with the founders the end of the agricultural harvest season with small quantities of alcohol aged in casks.
Flor de Caña’s Historical Moments
- 1937: Flor de Caña Etiqueta Amarilla and Flor de Caña Etiqueta Roja are introduced to the Nicaraguan market.
- 1940s: The first advertisements of Flor de Caña appear, in an era in which most ads were based on verses of poetry.
- 1950: Flor de Caña, at this point the preferred rum of Nicaragua, expands beyond the country’s borders and positions itself as the leading rum of Central America.
- 1959: Flor de Caña Etiqueta Negra and Flor de Caña Etiqueta Superior are introduced and exported to Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala and Venezuela, among other countries. Flor de Caña Añejo Clásico 5 rum is also introduced.
- 1968-1978: Flor de Caña Oro and Flor de Caña Extra Seco are introduced.
- 1980: During the 1980s, as a consequence of the Nicaraguan political revolution of 1979 and a period of hyper-inflation that reduced consumption nationally, the company makes the strategic decision to store large quantities of rum. These rums were patiently aged and, as a result, today Flor de Caña can proudly say that it has one of the largest reserves of aged rum in the world.
- 1994-1996: The Flor de Caña distillery is completely renovated and modernized.
- 1998: Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua is the first rum producer in the world to obtain an ISO 9000 quality certification, which confirms that the company has a quality management system compliant with international norms and best practices. Since then, the company has obtained other certifications, such as:
- ISO 14000: Existence and implementation of an environmental management system.
- HACCP: System for preventing safety hazards in food production.
- Kosher: Quality-control system for food production based on Jewish norms.
- 1999: An executive team is formed with the objective of further expanding the Flor de Caña brand internationally. Flor de Caña Centenario 21 is launched as a Commemorative Edition to celebrate the new millennium.
- 2005: Launch of Flor de Caña 18, winner of the highest distinction in the San Francisco World Spirit Competition and in the International Wine & Spirits Competition in London.
- 2013: In response to an increasing demand in the premium and super-premium segments, Flor de Caña launches a new, more elegant image for the brand, with redesigned bottles and labels, reinforcing the heritage, origin and tradition of the brand.
- 2014: Launch of Flor de Caña 25, an ultra-premium rum recognized as the “Best New Rum in 2014” by Caribbean Journal in its third Rum Awards, and as the “Best Design in 2014” by the Spirits Business magazine. It is also the winner of a Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2015.
- 2015: Flor de Caña is one of the most awarded premium rums in the world, with more than 180 international recognitions.
Flor de Caña Tour: A New, World-Class Tourist Destination in Nicaragua
In October 2012, the Flor de Caña Tour opened its doors to the public, featuring the largest rum barrel in the world. During the tour, which lasts approximately two hours, visitors learn about the 126-year history of the family business tradition of Flor de Caña and its production process, and explore the Flor de Caña museum, which includes artifacts dating back to the 1890s, while tasting one of the world’s finest aged rums. Since its opening, the tour has drawn the attention of national and foreign tourists, having received more than 100,000 visitors and earning a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. Visit the Tour!
Recognitions and Awards
Flor de Caña has won more than 180 international accolades, making it one of the most awarded premium rums in the world. Some of the most recent awards include:
|Flor de Caña 12 Years||International Wine & Spirits Competition, England||2010||Gold|
|Flor de Caña 7 Years (Gran Reserva)||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2010||Gold|
|Flor de Caña 4 Years (Añejo Oro)||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2011||Double Gold|
|Flor de Caña 4 Years (Extra Seco)||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2011||Double Gold|
|Flor de Caña 12 Years||Congreso Internacional de Ron de Madrid||2012||Double Gold|
|Flor de Caña 7 Years (Gran Reserva)||Congreso Internacional de Ron de Madrid||2013||Gold|
|Flor de Caña 4 Years (Extra Seco)||Congreso Internacional de Ron de Madrid||2014||Double Gold|
|Flor de Caña 5 Years (Añejo Clásico)||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2015||Gold|
|Flor de Caña 18 Years||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2015||Gold|
|Flor de Caña 25 Years||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2015||Double Gold|
|Flor de Caña 12 Years||San Francisco World Spirits Competition||2016||Gold|
Currently, Flor de Caña is sold in more than 40 countries in five continents. Aside from Central America, some of these include the United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Spain, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Australia and the Netherlands.
- Lovemarks 2015: Flor de Caña: 125 años de tradición. Estrategia & Negocios
- SUPERBRANDS: The most prestigious brands in México
- Top 100 marcas en Centroamérica y el Caribe en 2015 y 2016
ESTRATEGIA & NEGOCIOS Magazine.
- Best New Rum of the Year and Best Packaging of the Year. Flor de Caña 25 (Centenario) was awarded, during its year of introduction, as the “Best New Rum of the Year” by Caribbean Journal, among 180 competing rums. It also obtained a “Gold Medal” in 2014 in the “Design Masters” competition of The Spirits Business magazine.
- Top 10 Spirits in the World in 2000 by the Spirit Journal, in reference to Flor de Caña 21 (Centenario Edition)